Censors and secret codes

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Aug 25 17:24:02 UTC 2003

One of the ways people have gotten away with making culturally inappropriate
comments has been to disguise them by quoting the last line of jokes. Thus
at an early age I learned such sentences and phrases as "It's my day in the
barrel.", "smooth talking son of a bitch." and another phrase which means
the same thing "silver tongued devil".

They appeared to be fairly innocuous unless you knew the joke to which they
referred and as a result they would pass over most people's heads especially
those of women who were outside men's jpking circles.  Kris Kristofferson
even wrote a song entitled as I recall, "The Silver Tongued Devil and I",
and The Goon Show, a BBC comedy starring Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan and
Harry Secombe used this technique in order to get beyond the BBC censors as
per the time when Bluebottle is asked to go on a suicide mission in "The
Case of the Lone Banana" and opts out on the grounds that it is his day in
the barrel.

In a similar vein people would disguise their remarks by using obscure