a nice folk etymology or two

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 25 18:41:24 UTC 2003

At 1:54 PM -0400 8/25/03, [David] Barnhart wrote:
>laurence.horn at YALE.EDU,Net writes:
>  >  There are,
>  >in fact, 475 google hits for _unbenounced_!
>
>I glanced at the first 240 web sites.  There appeared to be no regular
>publications.  I then applied the search term in Google News and
>received 0 hits.  When I go to Vassar College library tomorrow, I'll
>check to see what's on Nexis, etc.

Just one hit on Nexis/Major Newspapers, highlighted in the last
paragraph below.  I don't know whether the reanalysis here is due to
Giordano or her editor at the Globe.  It's caddy Gary Roy's word and
possibly pronunciation, but obviously the spelling isn't attributable
to him.
=============
The Boston Globe
October 10, 1998, Saturday, City Edition

  SECTION: REAL ESTATE; Pg. E1
  HEADLINE: Grand old hotel awaits a caring buyer
  BYLINE: By Alice Giordano, Globe Correspondent

  DATELINE: WHITEFIELD, N.H.

  BODY:
  In the years Norman Vincent Peale penned his famous book, "The Power
of Positive Thinking," the controversial preacher often stole away to
the Mountain View House, a 200-room grand hotel bounded by an
inspiring panorama of the White Mountains.

  For God's salesman, as Peale was known, it was a befitting venue.
But the popular proselytizer was far from a spectacle at the northern
New England retreat.

The 1866 hotel always boasted a famous guest list, which included
some of Hollywood's earliest luminaries like Mary Pickford and
Groucho Marx, to sports legend Babe Ruth and former President Dwight
D. Eisenhower.

  "The funniest thing happened when Eisenhower was here," said Gary
Roy, a longtime caddy at Mountain View who was just a boy when he was
assigned to carry the President's clubs for the day. Eisenhower was
on the 5th hole of the hotel's course, he recalled, when a couple of
his Secret Servicemen decided to climb the nearby pine trees to make
sure the grounds were secure.

  "*Unbenounced* to them there was pitch all over the pine trees. They
were covered in it head to toe when they came down," Roy said.