Truckin' origins(NOT "Keep on Truckin' ")

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Tue Aug 26 02:11:40 UTC 2003

In the archives, Barry says he posted about this in 1996.  I couldn't find
it.

What ancestry produced was NOTHING before 1935, except for the term "truckin
lambs" to refer to a type of lamb I suppose.

What I found interesting was from the Marion(OH) Star,  August 30, 1935.
There, on page 8, are two photos of a  whitebread couple, dancing. They are
obviously truckin'.  The caption reads:

     "TRUCKIN' " IS NEW TERPSICHOREAN TIDBIT--One of the new dances,
originating on the Pacific coast, is "truckin' ".  Billy and Beverly
Bemis(?), the San Francisco twins dancing team, are pictured in phrases of
the novel hop. <snip>  (there is more but the copy is obliterated.  --ed.)

So, it originated on the Pacific Coast?