HEE-licopter

Dale Coye Dalecoye at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 26 13:34:29 UTC 2003

Last night was a big town planning board meeting for Princeton Airport.  It
had to do with the proximity of a helicopter hanger to our neighborhood, and
the lawyer for the airport, to my amazement, refered to them as HEE-licopters.
 I see that Websters 10th lists that as an alternative pronunciation, and it
seems that in the dim memories of my youth I may have heard it once before,
but here in NJ I'd have to say this is really, really rare.  It was one of those
things where I noticed many people in the audience turning to their neighbors
and whispering, "hee-licopter?"    I think it actually hurt his case at some
subconscious level.

Dale Coye
The College of NJ