Charles Reynders Jr.? (Sunday "On Language" column)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 30 05:02:25 UTC 2003

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/31/magazine/31ONLANGUAGE.html
Charlton Reynders Jr. is the chief executive officer of Reynders, Gray &
Company, a member firm of the New York Stock Exchange. William Safire is on
vacation.

   I was interested to see who would fill in for William Safire this year.
Erin McKean and Jesse Sheidlower had their turns.
   Would it be Michael Quinion?  Jonathon Green?  Dave Wilton?  David
Barnhart?  Fred Shapiro?  George Thompson?  Gerald Cohen?  Barry Popik?  Who????
   It's Charles Reynders Jr.!
   Was this Sunday's column supposed to serve some sort of purpose?  Why was
it written?  My worst notes on Wall Street language are better than any of
this.  Is Reynders a close friend of somebody at the TIMES?  At least that would
make sense.
   Read the column yourself and draw your own conclusions.

(OT:  For the full "Please Kill Me" effect, try reading this column after
adjudicating parking tickets from 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Bronx, with no
air and a half-hour lunch, and people with Yankee shirts coming at you in waves.
 CHARLES REYNDERS JR.??)