Plumcot (1903)

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 31 03:18:06 UTC 2003

Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>On Saturday, August 30, 2003, at 07:24 PM, Anne Gilbert wrote:
>
>>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought prunes *were* dried plums.
>
>well, yes they are.  but there's a particular variety of plum that's
>usually
>used for prune-making, and those plums are called "prune plums", or
>just "prunes" for short.  they're small, elongated rather than round,
>and
>intense in flavor.  i think they're especially wonderful, but
>supermarkets
>tend not to feature them, since they're not big and juicy and
>extra-sweet.

In this part of the country, they're generally available for only a
few weeks, right around now. I'm pretty sure the ones I bought this
afternoon were labeled as being from California.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963