"at" at the end of a where phrase

Scott Sadowsky lists at SPANISHTRANSLATOR.ORG
Mon Dec 8 03:37:32 UTC 2003

On 12/7/2003 01:09 PM, Beverly Flanigan wrote the following:

>But you're confusing writing with speaking again.  I agree that a certain
>"standard" should be taught in writing, if only to give kids an equal
>chance in higher education and the job market.

This still implicitly promotes the idea that there are certain lects that
are better than others -- those used by the highly educated vs. those used
by the relatively ignorant, those used by people worthy of gainful
employment vs. those used by vagrants, bums and good-for-nothings, and so on.

Why not just make explicit the underpinnings of all this: power.  The
so-called "standard" varieties of a language are those used by the
powerful, and the powerful can and will discriminate against you if you
don't adapt to their way of doing things -- in language use, dress, mores
and any other significant aspect of social interaction.

This approach not only gets a heck of a lot closer to the essence of the
matter, it also shifts the burden of justifying indecency to the indecent
-- instead of the speaker having to justify his "bad taste" or "ignorance"
in using the linguistic system he happens to have in his head, those who
would discriminate on this basis are left having to justify their
discriminatory behavior.

Cheers,
Scott

Scott Sadowsky · sadowsky at spanishtranslator.org
http://www.spanishtranslator.org
"Since the multitude is ever fickle, full of lawless desires, irrational
passions and violence, there is no other way to keep them in order but by
the fear and terror of the invisible world, on which account our ancestors
seem to me to have acted judiciously, when they contrived to bring into the
popular belief these notions of the gods, and of the infernal regions."
  -- Polybius