1) OT: Barry's close call, 2) William Safire's column

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Dec 11 02:28:10 UTC 2003

   Here are a few thoughts about Barry's close call (Dec. 9 message):

1) I'm appalled at the fire-trap conditions in which he must work, as
well as the insensitivity of his superior in having the employees
return to a possibly unsafe situation (the public was still excluded).

2) But judging from Barry's account, that insensitivity might have
saved his life, since it brought him into the building and away from
the manhole where the gas explosion occurred.

3) Re: William Safire's column, I'd prefer to see Barry referred to
as a "peripatetic etymologist" rather than a "growling" one. "Word
sleuth" would also be entirely accurate. Still, after the hiatus of
several years in which Barry evidently became a non-person for Safire
(Barry, reread the message you sent from Roumania), Safire's renewed
mention of Barry's work is both welcome and remarkable. It bespeaks a
magnanimous spirit willing to overlook some very sharp criticism and
focus on Barry's contribution to a given topic. Barry's research is
truly extraordinary.

4) Safire's column and ads-l are in a symbiotic relationship. Our
research benefits the column, while Safire provides wonderful
publicity to both our field and some of its members. Several ads-l
members sent messages of congratulations to Barry and Sam for being
mentioned in last week's column--well deserved in both cases. As an
organization we owe Mr. Safire and his assistant Kathleen Miller a
debt of gratitude for their interest in our field, and on behalf of
ads-l I now thank them for their efforts.

With best wishes all the way around,
Gerald Cohen