Dead Man's Hand-poker

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Thu Dec 11 03:27:20 UTC 2003

Sorry to post this to the general list, when I really only want to call on
the  help of Barry, Fred, and Jesse.  (Jesse:  I don't have a separate email
for you).

While I'm not aware of a cite earlier than the Century Dictionary(1909) cite
in my Mathews,  I'd love to know if there is earlier.  We get this question
posted over at the Straight Dope repeatedly.  Mighty Cecil, himself, even
wrote a column on it many years ago.  But NO cites.

Everyone spouts on about Hickock, but no one can cite any evidence.

Questions:  Did the phrase originate about Hickock?  Is there any
contemporary cite for the cards? (I doubt it.  Why WOULD there be)?

I guess I'm only asking if anyone with database access could check this for
prior to 1909.  I THINK I checked Ancestry.com, but I'll go back tonight and
try again.

And, Jesse, you don't list this useage in current on-line OED that I've
found.  Neither does M-W.

I could be wrong.

Sam Clements