PIGEON = 'sponsee'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Dec 12 18:02:00 UTC 2003

At 11:26 AM -0500 12/12/03, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
>Another discussion group has raised the issue of the earliest use of the word
>PIGEON in Alcoholics Anonymous to refer to a person who is 'sponsored' by
>another person in the program (the SPONSOR-SPONSEE relationship is a widely
>recongnized and reifed aspect of the program, e.g., new members of
>the Program are
>strongly encouraged to find a person with long-term sobriety who will act as
>their SPONSOR, a person who will guide them, generally through daily contact,
>through the program).
>
>I believe that this term PIGEON used in this sense is at least 30 years old
>in A.A. in the United States. But apparently does not appear with very great
>frequency in the usual data bases.
>
>In a message dated 12/11/03 7:01:39 PM, someone writes:

That someone was me, both here and on OUTiL.  The same book also
provides this great exchange in which a couple of characters identify
and describe "Austin conditionals" (--so called from J. L. Austin's
discussion of "There are some biscuits on the sideboard if you want
some" in his 1956 paper "Ifs and Cans"; a.k.a. speech act
conditionals).  Wonder if there's an archive of excerpts of
linguistic analysis from novels not related to linguistic analysis?
=========
"John, if you're home, it's Roz. Come to think of it, it's Roz
whether or you're home or not, but are you?"
    She was in the middle of another sentence by the time he got the
phone to his ear. "I've always liked that construction", he said.
"'If I don't see you before you leave, have a nice time.' And if do
see me before then, should I have a lousy time? Odd use of the
conditional, if you think about it."
    "Or even if you don't."

  (Block, _Small Town_, 104)
larry