X 'n Y (was Re: LSSU Word Banishment)

Se�n Fitzpatrick grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET
Fri Dec 12 19:32:27 UTC 2003

I agree that the idea of one quick and easy operation is not to be gainsaid by quibbles about redundancy.

Could "rock 'n roll" have supplied the canonical form:  pres. inf.+pres. inf. & alliteration/rhyme?

Not only commercial corporations use binomial jingle modifiers.  The military adopts them ("slice 'n dice") and coins them ("shoot 'n scoot" a.k.a. "fire and forget").

Seán Fitzpatrick

> Well, I'm not sure about that.  Should "Spray and Wash" be just
> called "Spray" because of course you're going to wash your clothes
> after spraying them (and not just spray them and put them back on)?
> How about "Wash 'n' Wear" clothes--should they just be called "Wash"
> clothes?  I think the idea here might be that you X them and then you
> immediately can and do Y them.  Scratch 'n' sniff movie cards.
> Scratch 'n' play lotto tickets.  Surely there must be an _American
> Speech_ paper on these formations in commercial English?
>
> Larry

It don't matter where you bury me
I'll be home and I'll be free
It don't matter where I lay