Grant Took Richmond (1916); Senegal in Harlem

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Dec 24 03:09:18 UTC 2003

GRANT TOOK RICHMOND (continued)

   From ProQuest.

TH' MORNIN'S MORNIN'; The Home Guards Meet.
BY DAMON RUNYON (New York American.). The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Feb 12, 1916. p. 9 (1 page):
   "What a sucker they're makin' of that guy Tex Rickard," mused the tall fellow.  "They're takin' him like Grant took Richmond."

DEMPSEY, FIT FOR BATTLE, MUST AVOID GOING STALE; Challenger's Appearance Impresses Leonard More Than Willard's.
By BENNY LEONARD.. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Jun 28, 1919. p. 13 (1 page) :
   All New York seems to be here, and Toledo is taking 'em like Grant toook Richmond, only more so.

COLLYER'S COMMENT on the SPORT of KINGS; PIMLIOO SELECTIONS. HUNTINGTON SELECTIONS. LATONIA SELECTIONS. WHEELING SELECTIONS.
By BERT E. COLLYER.. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Nov 2, 1923. p. 24 (1 page):
   List to the line of stuff wigwagged to me from old Baltimore: "They're going to 'take' these mutuel machines just like Grant took Richmond.

SENEGAL IN HARLEM

   I'll be in Senegal soon.  Sietsema has written about "cheb" before.

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0352/sietsema.php
Counter Culture
by Robert Sietsema
Gift of the Maggi
A salty liquid seasoning faces off against ketchup in Harlem
December 22nd, 2003 2:00 PM

La Marmite
2264 Eighth Avenue
212.666.0653

The national dish of Senegal was inspired by paella, which was brought to the west coast of Africa by Iberian traders in the 16th century. Made under ideal conditions around Dakar, where a cornucopia of vegetables is readily available, Senegalese thiebou djenne (pronounced "cheb-boo-jenn") rivals bouillabaisse in its perfection and complexity. Here's the recipe: Pieces of fish—usually small tuna that can be caught from pirogues—are stuffed with a paste of cilantro, garlic, and green onion, fried in palm oil, and removed. Water is added and vegetables, one by one, are boiled and pulled out. Rice is then cooked in this oily broth with bits of sun-dried stockfish and tamarind. When the rice is done it's bright red from the palm oil and highly flavored by all the ingredients that have gone before. The fish and vegetables are arranged on top of the rice, and the dish is served by the matriarch of the family, who carefully distributes each morsel.

The best cheb I've ever had was bought from a woman on the Senegalese island of Gorée, who dispensed takeout meals from a ground-floor kitchen in one of the pastel colonial houses. The customers were mainly African bachelors and low-level American and French foreign-service workers. On most nights, her version boasted nine vegetables, and I learned from her to judge cheb by counting the number of vegetables.