"Y'all" in Friday's New York Times

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Fri Dec 26 20:35:42 UTC 2003

I don't disagree, but I guess I wasn't clear in my message.  What Guy was
referring to was the older distinction between thou/thee and ye/you.  The
interviewer clearly didn't get it and just moved on, but Guy was trying to
justify 'y'all' as plural by linking it to a time when 'you' was only plural.

And this reminds me of another puzzling comment from NPR last week:  The
interviewer of a country singer (can't recall her name, but she didn't
sound authentic to me; I've known people here who think they "talk
Appalachian," for example) said that if listeners wanted to hear her "sing
in Middle English" they could go to npr.org for that day.  I haven't looked
it up, but I wonder if he meant
mountain/Appalachian/Scots-flavored/hillbilly English?  Kinda like
Elizabethan, maybe?  These historical eras are hard to keep straight, you know.