"Cosmopolitan" cocktail (1996)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 26 01:13:07 UTC 2003

    Sarah Jessica Parker showed up at my door to wish me a merry Christmas,
remind me to watch the last eight episodes of SEX AND THE CITY, and ask about
the origin of the "Cosmopolitan."
    She's a great gal, but my wife Jennifer Lopez insisted that Sarah get out
of that red and green Christmas number and put on some clothes.
    I'll search the databases for "Cosmopolitan" this weekend, but Google
Groups has nothing before 1996.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: ??????
... crushed ice -----Cosmopolitan: <????> ....?,??? 3/4 oz. vodka
1/2 oz. triple sec 1 oz. cranberry juice 1/2 oz. lime juice ?,???? ...
tw.bbs.rec.wine - May 12, 1996 by ?? ?? ???
(...)
 --------Cosmopolitan:   <????> .......?,???
3/4 oz. vodka
1/2 oz. triple sec
1 oz. cranberry juice
1/2 oz. lime juice

(GOOGLE)
http://www.thefoodmaven.com/diary/archives/00000024.html
The Cosmopolitan was the drink of the summer several years ago. It seemed to
come along so suddenly and so nationally that I thought it must have been
invented by the Absolut vodka people to promote their product, Absolut Citron, the
seemingly essential ingredient that had recently been introduced. Now I learn
from Gary Regan, author of “The Bartender’s Bible” and “New Classic
Cocktails” that its origins are a mystery. Legend has it that a bartender named
Cheryl Cook created it in Miami, but Cheryl Cook has never come forward to claim it
or been located, even through Internet searches. The Cosmopolitan is vodka,
Cointreau (an orange liqueur), cranberry juice, and lime juice, served in a
martini glass.

You might say the Metropolitan is the sequel to the Cosmopolitan. It
substitutes Absolut Kurant for the Citron, and is also served in a martini glass. At
least that is how most bartenders make it. It has evolved into that. The
original recipe was somewhat different, however. It was created by Chuck Coggins at
a downtown New York haunt called Marion’s, that had had it’s heyday in the
1950s, then was reopened in 1990. It still thrives as a retro martini lounge and
funky neighborhood hangout. The way Chuck tells it, in Gary Regan’s “New
Classic Cocktails,” Absolut Kurant had just been introduced and “he added some
extra ingredients.” These include Rose’s lime juice (which is sweetened),
fresh lime juice, cranberry juice, and a lime wedge, but no Cointreau.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.tonidunlap.com/cosmopolitan.htm
If any one drink can be credited for the resurgence of the cocktail in recent
years, it the Cosmopolitan, which appeared in bars across the country in the
mid-1990s. No one seems to know who created it, and there has been much debate
as to whether it first appeared in San Francisco or New York. But no matter
who first put these ingredients together, there's no doubt this is the most
popular new drink to come along since the martini.

(GOOGLE)
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m3188/4_85/73040966/p1/article.jhtml
Classic Cosmopolitans.(cocktails)(Brief Article)
Restaurants Hospitality, April, 2001, by Robert Plotkin

Sex in the City has only confirmed what veteran lounge lizards already know,
that when it comes to cocktails the one to be seen with is the Cosmopolitan.
The drink has come of age, and while the Martini still grabs a lot of
attention, the Cosmo is the drink in the know. Here's our take on why it's a high
lottery pick, a bona fide franchise player.

Let's first set the record straight. The Cosmopolitan is not, nor has it ever
been, a variation of the Martini. The Martini is a cocktail made with a base
of gin or vodka, which in turn is modified by an aperitif or liqueur, and then
presented with what has now become a wide array of garnishes.On the other
hand, the Cosmopolitan is a derivative of the Gimlet, a classic cocktail that
originated in Colonial India. The Gimlet is prepared with either gin or vodka, a
portion of Rose's lime juice, and is strained into a properly chilled cocktail
glass accompanied by a generous wedge of fresh lime.In the 1980s the Gimlet
morphed into the Kamikaze, the ultra popular cocktail made with vodka, Rose's
lime juice, and a shot of Cointreau. Even now in its third decade, an icy
Kamikaze in classy stemware is a "can't miss" proposition.

This brings us to the early 1990s and the origin of the Cosmopolitan. Using
the Kamikaze as the creative blueprint, the Cosmopolitan is constructed with
citrus-infused Absolut Citron vodka, Cointreau, Rose's lime juice, and a healthy
splash of cranberry juice. It's then stirred, strained into the coldest, most
elegant cocktail glass handy, and presented with a wedge of fresh lime.In

(GOOGLE)
http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/2001/07/25/FFXQRVPZJPC.html
Bar manager Staris Latkas has developed a martini exclusively for Melburnians
- the Melbapolitan, which has proven popular in Bar Deco. But he says the
most popular martinis remain the oldtime favorites such as the Metropolitan, and,
thanks to Sex and the City, the Cosmopolitan.

Busteed is amazed by the Cosmopolitan's popularity. ``Everyone wants to be
Sarah Jessica Parker and talk about sleeping with men, or women,'' he says.
Jarrod Temple, a barman at the funky Khokolat in Melbourne, says the ``nice and
sweet'' Cosmopolitans have been moving ``by the truckload'' since the weekly
program made it the drink du jour.

The Gin Palace in Little Collins Street has long sold a lot of Cosmopolitans
but bar manager Ben Wild says vodka drinks are always popular - vodka and
lime, vodka and cranberry, vodka and just about anything. Wild says the popularity
of drinks like the Cosmopolitan is all part of the international trend away
from the ``pretty'' to the oldfashioned cocktails.