Word Salad (1956)

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Fri Feb 7 00:38:04 UTC 2003

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, James A. Landau wrote:

#In a message dated 2/4/03 11:24:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, mam at THEWORLD.COM
#writes:
#
#> American signers
#>  traveling in France say that French Sign Language feels very familiar to
#>  them, and it only takes them a few days to start communicating easily
#>  (though not at all fluently) with French signers. In contrast, American
#>  signers watching British Sign Language see nothing but finger salad.
#
#Not surprising.  ASL (American Sign Language) comes from France.  British
#Sign Language is home-grown.

Yes, indeed, to a first order of approximation. I wrote my dissertation
on ASL. My point, although it may not have been distinct, was for the
phrase "finger salad".

-- Mark A. Mandel