Jansson's Temptation (1958); Somebody shoot me (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 8 17:05:30 UTC 2003

JANSSON'S TEMPTATION

   Greetings from the NYPL.  I didn't find this in cookbooks before 1958 (so far).  I also did NOT see "Jansson's Temptation" in the two GOURMET books of the 1950s.
   (OT:  I just saw THE PRODUCERS, so I'd say that "Jansson's Temptation" would be the shapely Swedish dish named "Ula.")

SWEDISH COOKING AT ITS BEST
by Marianne Gronwall van der Tuuk
Goteborg, Sweden: Wezata Forlag
1958

Pg. 15:
JANSSONS TEMPTATION   JANSSONS FRESTELSE
(ANCHOVIES AU GRATIN)
   This dish is a real temptation when served on a Smorgasbord, or as an appetizer.
1 cup sliced onions (1 1/2 onions)
1/3 cup butter or margarine
4 cups raw potatoes, cut into thin strips
1 can Swedish anchovy fillets (about 18 fillets)
1 cup cream
(...)

GOOD FOOD FROM SWEDEN
by Anna Olsson Coombs
London: Frederick Muller, Ltd.
1955

Pg. 10:  HERRING TEMPTATION
Pg. 13:  ANCHOVIES AU GRATIN
Pg. 14:  ANCHOVIES AND POTATOES AU GRATIN
   This is another of those temptations: (...)

SOMEBODY SHOOT ME
(or "Big Apple Corner & David Letterman's THE LATE SHOW," continued)

  Subj:    "Big Apple" in last night's CBS mailbag