What _are_ the Canadian dialects of English?

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Feb 18 19:44:15 UTC 2003

Dave, as another central actually southern Illinois speaker whose father in
law lives near Buffalo, NY I have been amused to listen him pronounce words
with an eastern Canadian accent, pronunciations he would not have learned in
his youth since he grew up in Cleveland, Ohio and earlier near Boston, Mass.

I discovered the same thing a few years ago when I visited the Michigan
North Woods Club which is located near Ishpeming, Michigan in the upper
peninsula of Michigan which is pronounced Yoo Pee by those who live there
which explains the reason that a fairly famous band from the area calls
itself "Da Yoopers".

In addition my friend Amos Garrett calls his band "The Eh Band" since it
consists of Canadians eh?

I was surprised a bit when I visited the UP to discover how much the eastern
Canadian accents and pronunciations had spilled over to the UP.

I was also surprised to discover that the streets in Ishpeming were the same
as those in Cleveland, Ohio where I have lived for the past 31 years.

The reason for this is that the iron ore companies which owned the local
mines were owned by Cleveland companies who recreated Cleveland street names
in Ishpeming. This also accounts for the name of Rebublic, Michigan which
was founded by the Republic Steel company.

Page Stephens