"slang" and "informal" as dict labels

Kim & Rima McKinzey rkmck at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Feb 17 21:30:20 UTC 2003

>On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Laurence Horn wrote:
>
>#If I'm right, it depends on what "called" means.  As I mentioned, my
>#sense is that it's ok to refer to it that way in print, but that
>#nobody actually says "SF" colloquially; it's like "NY" for New York
>#or "SD" for San Diego in this respect, rather than "LA" or "KC".  I
>#could be wrong, though.

SF & NY are usually referred to locally as The City.  Having lived in
both, I've never heard anyone say "ess eff" or "en wy".  Don't know
about San Diego, but my guess would be that folks don't actually say
"ess dee."

>... is adamant that "sf" stands for
>"speculative fiction", which includes both of those and more --

I like that a lot.  Makes a great deal of sense and is category
inclusive, as it would cover both the hard science fiction, the
fantasy (which seems usually to take place in 6th century Wales for
some reason), cyber stuff, et al.

Rima