Brittany and other names...

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Feb 24 03:20:25 UTC 2003

> You'll find these figures, which I hope are readable.  I haven't
> tried to reformat them, so just in case, Madison's 21946 is second to
> Emily's 24850 and just above Hannah's 20434.  The boys' names have a
> lot more votes, suggesting that (unless there were 8000 more boys
> than girls born in 2001) there's a lot more diversity (i.e.
> fragmentation) for the girls' names.

There is much more diversity in American girls' names. According to the 1990
census, the top ten male names accounted for 23.185% of the male population.
1208 names account for 90% of the men. On the other hand, the top ten female
names only account for 10.703% of the female population and it takes 4249
names account for 90% of the women.

See http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/