Query: Etymology of Australia's Capital "Canberra"

Steve Cornelius scorn at PACIFIC.NET.AU
Mon Feb 24 12:47:23 UTC 2003

At 23-02-2003 11:54, you wrote:
>   Would anyone know the etymology of Australia's capital "Canberra"?
>I've come across a 1913 article in a San Francisco newspaper on the
>subject, but the story there may be a spoof.
>
>Gerald Cohen

This Australian federal government site:

http://www.nationalcapital.gov.au/factsheets/siting.htm

includes the following:

"In 1913, when the Canberra area was no more than an outback sheep station
divided by the Molonglo River, a ceremony was held to name the city.
'Canberra', as a new name for the capital, was a sentimental favourite and
logical choice. The name probably derived from a local Aboriginal word for
'meeting place' and had been in common use in the district for more than
three-quarters of a century. The people of Australia, nevertheless,
responded with imagination and good humour to a Government invitation to
find a suitable name for their
future capital. 'Cookaburra', 'Wheatwoolgold' and 'Kangaremu' headed a list
of Australiana which also included 'Sydmelperadbrisho' and
'Meladneyperbane'. Politics prompted other names such as 'Swindleville',
'Gonebroke' and 'Caucus City'."

Disappointingly, it only says it "probably" derives from a local aboriginal
word, and more disappointingly, but typically, it doesn't mention which
indigenous language.

Australia's Macquarie Dictionary V3 gives the etymology as "from Canberry,
Kembery, or Gnabra, versions of the Australian Aboriginal name for the
area". Again, no mention of the name of the language of origin.

I've sent some further enquiries to people at the Australian National
Placenames Project at Macquarie University in Sydney, and will report back.

Steve Cornelius
Sydney, Australia