Brittany>SS death and VD

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Mon Feb 24 17:03:12 UTC 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:

#This reminds me of an incident that my wife and I had with her brother
#a number of years ago.  My brother-in-law is considerably younger than
#we and had obviously learned vocab from what my wife and I learned.
                             ^ different  ?

#Anyway, around Valentine's Day, we received a card from said B-in-law
#with the greeting "Happy VD!"  Well, my wife and I were very
#surprised, as VD can, for us, in no way be happy.  It seems that VD is
#out and has been totally replaced by STD in the younger generation.

Ghod!

It's not just age-related, at least not monotonically. A NYC
veterinarian, of a generation older than mine -- born, maybe, between
the WWs -- wrote in his autobiography of proudly getting vanity license
plates "VD" for his degree, analogous to MD, and of his surprise and
disgust at people's reaction to them.

-- Mark A. Mandel