team colors/Redskins/Redcaps

Peter Richardson prichard at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Feb 25 23:47:10 UTC 2003

> Seneca was highly unusual for a suburban school in those days because it was
> 10-15% African-American (there was a large all-black community out in the
> country within Seneca's district) so of course our "Redskin" basketball team
> (two state championships in the first 5 years) actually had black skins.

Jim Landau's comments remind me of a faux pas perpetrated by my
Pennsylvania Dutch grandmother in a Philadelphia train station. You'll
recall that luggage porters used to be called "redcaps" and that virtually
all of them were African-Americans. When she wanted one to help her with
her bags, she said, "Oh, Redskin!"

PR