Team color names [WAS: Card sharp versus card shark]

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 26 21:33:59 UTC 2003

In a message dated 2/26/03 11:36:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

> I'm pretty sure "the Hogs" was never a nickname for the whole Redskin
>  team, but for their very large offensive line.  Back in the same era
>  when that was adopted (and the fans came to games with hog-masks on),
>  which was I believe in the late '80s when they were a perennial
>  playoff contender and won one Super Bowl decisively against the
>  Broncos), the wide receivers, who were short and fast, were known as
>  "the Smurfs."

You are correct; "the Hogs" was the nickname for the offensive line only.
However, it was a quite popular nickname, and the last time I watched a
Redskins game on TV the camera gave some views of fans with hog masks
(actually hog noses, I believe).  The point is that if the name "Redskins"
has to be abandoned, "Hogs" has instant name recognition and will be an
obvious, albeit tref, candidate for the new team name.

A high school football player who was either a tight end or a split end (I
forget which) defined his position very simply:  "I'm both a Hog and a Smurf".

          - Jim Landau