Team color names [WAS: Card sharp versus card shark]

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Wed Feb 26 22:08:54 UTC 2003

At 04:33 PM 2/26/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>the last time I watched a Redskins game on TV the camera gave some views
>of fans with hog masks
>(actually hog noses, I believe).  The point is that if the name "Redskins"
>has to be abandoned, "Hogs" has instant name recognition and will be an
>obvious, albeit tref, candidate for the new team name.
>
>A high school football player who was either a tight end or a split end (I
>forget which) defined his position very simply:  "I'm both a Hog and a Smurf".
>
>           - Jim Landau

Did you notice if any of those "hog-nosed" wearing fans were middle-aged
"non-svelt" men clad in dresses? Judging from the way they played this past
year I would say they should take our cue from them, and rename the team
the "Hogettes."

(No offense intended).

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire