Guten Rutsch

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Wed Jan 1 21:05:23 UTC 2003

     The Hebrew wish for a Happy New Year is Shanah Tovah (stress on
final syllable in each word; = "Year Good"). There's no Rosh in sight
here other than in the name of the holiday (Rosh ha-Shanah).
Meanwhile, German Rutsch "slide" in guten Rutsch (ins neue Jahr)
seems to make perfect sense. I assume the slide is that of a sled or
skier starting to move downhill.

Gerald Cohen