"axe" for "ask"

Billionbridges.com translation at BILLIONBRIDGES.COM
Fri Jan 3 20:56:51 UTC 2003

A great client of ours with a soft, charming
Long Island accent flips the "k" and "s" around
in "ask" so that it comes out as "axe." Her
co-worker, however, also blessed with this
exquisite accent, does not.

The "axer" has an Italian surname, so I would
hazard to guess that she is not African-American.
(I had always thought this sort of consonant
switching was limited to the African-American
community.)

Is this known as a feature of "Long Islandese,"
or would you rather call it a peculiar feature of
my client's idiolect?

Best,
Don