"axe" for "ask"

Fri Jan 3 21:03:47 UTC 2003

I believe if you read the journals of Lewis and Clark, particularly
those of Clark, whose spelling was more free-spirited, you'll find more
than one instance of this ask/aks transposition. Whether that can be
correctly said to be a faithful rendering of spoken language is, of
course, debatable, but it's interesting to consider.