Githeri, Mchuzi, Traffic Lights, Marie & Nice Biscuits

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 5 14:16:46 UTC 2003

   Greetings again from Mombasa.  I head for four nights in Zanzibar tomorrow before I return home.  I should have some library time in Zanzibar, so make your Swahili requests now.  The library was closed today (Sunday) for Mombasa, and I had no time in Nairobi.
   The NEW YORK TIMES food section ran articles on Louisiana meat pies and Hopping John.  As usual, no one spoke to me.  Gosh, is all this depressing.  Maybe if I wait three million years to give my work away for free, then come at them with guns, someone will eventually condescend to speak to me.  And if that works--if I'm not dead in three million years---I'll try the CHICAGO TRIBUNE.
   No trip would be complete without a visit to the supermarket.  I'm typing this near the NAKUMATT (Nairobi-Mambasa-Kisumu, Kenya's Choice Superstore).  There is a very large selection of Indian food here, as there has been at the lodges where I've been staying.
   Here are some items:

GITHERI--Maize, Beans, and salt.  A Kenyan dish.  OED?

MCHUZI MIX--OED?  There are two different ones, but the Nutri Mchuzi Mix has soya flour (GMO FREE), corn starch, glutamate, spices, salt, caramel.

NICE BISCUITS--Several brands offer this.
MARIE BISCUITS--Several brands offer this.  OED?
RAFI BISCUITS
TARIATA BISCUITS
FAMILY BISCUITS
GLUCOSE BISCUITS
DIGESTIVE BISCUITS
BARVITA BISCUITS
GINGERNUTS BISCUITS

TRAFFIC LIGHTS--A cookie-type of bakery thing with three holes in it, filled with green, red, and yellow coloring.

PALMIERS--No "elephant ears" in Africa?

CHARCOAL MAKAA SOLD AT THE BUTCHERY--From a sign at the store.  Makaa?  OED?

A-1 KHEER MIX RICE PUDDING--The chef on the box makes the "OK" sign.  I've seen the sign at least one other place, so I guess it's acceptable here.

DHOKLA MIX
VADAI MIX
RASMALAI MIX
KULFI MIX
GULAB JAMUN MIX
PAPAD LENTIL TORTILLAS
KHARI PAPDI
TIKKI PAPDI
DHANA JEERA
AJMA SEEDS
SUPARI (scented arecanut)
CHHUNDO CHUTNEY
PATRA (curried)
KADHI (curried)
UDHIU (curried)
SAMBHAR (curried)
SOOJI SEMOLINA
MOONG DALL
MAJOOR DALL
URAD DALL
TAL SAKRI (simsim and sugar)
(OK, so there's a lot of Indian stuff here--ed.)

CARR'S TABLE WATER--a registered trademark.

WAGON WHEELS--Sold here.  THe advertised web site is www.wagonwheels.com.

JAMMIE DODGERS--Gooey jam "SPLODGED" between two shortcake biscuits.

MURRAY MINTS--From Cadbury Kenya.  Trademark?

MISHIKAKI--Also, MSHIKAKI. Not seen at the supermarket, but a local meat dish in several of my cookbooks.  OED?

MASTICABLES--A gum.  Trademark?