FW: Query: alleged word "mingya"

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Jan 5 14:20:14 UTC 2003

Adding to what has been mentioned already, the word is heard in the movie
Godfather II, from the character young Clemenza, who says it several times,
in scenes where the dialogue is in Sicilian dialect.

The etym from Latin mentula makes good sense -- the Latin word was also
vulgar (both senses), appearing very infrequently, one famous time in a
bawdy poem of Catullus.  The sound change from mentula to minchia (whatever
the spelling) is defensible.

I heard it recently (this past summer) "in the flesh" from the mouth of my
washing machine repair guy, who is a late-50ish Italian American from
central Conn.  So it's still around.

Frank Abate

It comes from a Southern Italian dialect word for "penis"  I guess the
spelling would be "minghia" (stress on first syllable)  Italian Americans
have used it for several generations as a gross expletive for "Wow!" or
"Holy Sh*t!"

Pete Farruggio

'