grammatically speaking...

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Thu Jan 9 14:20:45 UTC 2003

Okay, I think I'm convinced now that example #1 can be called
"ungrammatical".  It's not that I ever doubted that it would register
as "wrong" to an English speaker -- I just wasn't sure whether to
call it ungrammatical (which I initially interpreted as "syntactically
unprecedented and non-transparent") or unidiomatic (i.e.,
"syntactically possible and semantically transparent but in fact
never used in standard speech/writing").  I think what most people
understand as ungrammatical is something that, essentially, is
never used.

Thanks very much to the linguists on the list for shedding light on
the nature of the constructions.  Obviously, we English language
and lit folks would benefit from a course or two in the theory of
syntax!

Joanne