blimp 1916 -- (David Shulman has 1915)

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Jan 16 21:41:09 UTC 2003

On 15 Jan. 2003 Barry Popik wrote:
>BLIMP
>
>    The TIMES OF LONDON full text database is still not nearly complete, but
>it's no longer 1921-1971.  It now goes back to January 1, 1914.
>
>24 November 1916, pg. 5, col. C, TIMES OF LONDON:
>    NEW AEROPLANE FILMS.
>      A FLIGHT IN A "BLIMP."
(...)  A flight is made in an airship--a "blimp," as it is called.  The
>"blimp" is taken from its huge shed and harnessed up for its trip;
>bombs are attached, and the pilot and his observer take their places
>as the airship
>strains at the tethering ropes held by the crew.

   Word-researcher and nonagenarian David Shulman once sent me a 1915
attestation of "blimp."  Barry, if you'd give him a call and get his
permission for me to post it on ads-l, I'll be happy to do so. Due
credit would of course be given to him.

Gerald Cohen