Providence (Re: Salt Water Taffy (again))

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 22 13:58:37 UTC 2003

In a message dated 1/21/03 7:00:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, Bapopik at AOL.COM
writes:

> This Thursday (in about two days), I'll take an Amtrak up to Providence

Shouldn't that be "Providence (RI: Salt Water Taffy)"?

Some linguistic musings to pass the time on your trip:

There are two cities in North America named after the Deity.  Providence is
one.  Name the other.  (References to the Christian Trinity are excluded,
although you might want to find a place named after the Holy Ghost.)

England is a subset of Britain, yet New Britain is a subset of New England.
Find not one but two "New Scotlands" and half of a "New Wales".

The Northeast has many "New x" place names (e.g. see previous) including "New
Square".  Where is "Old Square"?

The _Titanic_ was sunk by an iceberg.  What happened to its sister ship the
_Hoosatanic_?

Locate the Four Seasons of Massachusetts.

What is unique (linguistically) about the Bostoner Rebbe?

Riddle:  why is New Haven the obvious site for the first appearance of the
Anglophone bagel?

Riddle:  what kind of sex life does a backwards Yalie have?

Riddle:  why can't you get to Rhode Island by train?

And straying from the Northeast:  why is everyone in the United States
convinced that there is a city in Mexico named "Aunt Jane"?

In a message dated 1/21/03 8:18:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, Bapopik at AOL.COM
writes:

>    Wyoming + Montana.
>     Everybody's got to get into the coinage act.

"Kentuckiana" has been around for as long as I can remember (and probably as
long as Professor Preston can remember).  It is an advertising/PR term
meaning "Kentucky plus those parts of Indiana in which the Louisville
Courier-Journal circulates."

Of even older vintage:  Texarkana, Calexico, Mexicali, the Delmarva
Peninsula.  And then there is Marven Gardens, famously misspelled on the
Monopoly board.