Providence

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 24 02:15:40 UTC 2003

At 4:42 PM -0500 1/23/03, James A. Landau wrote [in response to his
earlier riddles]:
>In a message dated 1/22/03 8:59:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>JJJRLandau at AOL.COM writes:
>
>>   The Northeast has many "New x" place names (e.g. see previous) including
>>  "New  Square".  Where is "Old Square"?
>
>The town of Skvir (sp?) somewhere in Europe,

The closest I could find in my old atlas is the town of Skwirzyna in
Western Poland.

>original home of the Skvirer
>Rebbe whose followers founded New Square
>
>>   The _Titanic_ was sunk by an iceberg.  What happened to its sister ship the
>>   _Hoosatanic_?
>
>Apologies for the spelling error, which misled at least one reader.  That was
>the USS _Housatanic_, which was the first ship ever sunk by a submarine.  Do
>NOT check http://thepoeticlink.com/pl/view_one_poem.php3?poem_num=6770
>
>How Satanic.

I assume it was actually the Housatonic, like our river just west and
north of New Haven (a city that I trust will survive the onslaught it
receives below).  But it's pronounced as if it were "HOO-satonic",
which makes both the above pun and my proposed mixer outlet, The
House O' Tonic, pretty inaccessible.

larry