Providence

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 24 03:55:00 UTC 2003

In a message dated 01/23/2003 9:15:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

> >The town of Skvir (sp?) somewhere in Europe,
>
>  The closest I could find in my old atlas is the town of Skwirzyna in
>  Western Poland.

The first Rebbe of what became the Skver Dynasty was Rabbi Menachem Nachum
Twersky of Chernobyl (yes, the site of the nuclear plant), 1730-1797, a
student of the Baal Shem Tov.  The second Rebbe was Mordechai of Chernobyl,
1770-1837, probably a son of Menachem Nachum.  The third Rebbe was Yitzchak
of Skver, 1812-1885, the fourth was David of Skver, and the fifth was Yaakov
Yosef of Skver.  Why the change of place-name I don't know; I suppose that
for some reason the third Rebbe moved from Chernobyl to a town called Skver.

The current Rebbe is David Twersky, so apparently the position of Rebbe never
left the Twersky family.

I'm afraid that doesn't help much in determining where, or perhaps what, was
Skver.

A strange twist on a thread labelled "Providence".

                   - Jim Landau