Snail Salad

Mon Jan 27 17:28:48 UTC 2003

In a message dated 1/27/03 1:39:08 AM, Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

>    "Snail salad" is not in John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND
> DRINK.  Will it be in the next volume of DARE?

Is this a regionalism? If not, DARE won't have it. And shouldn't.

In fact, should any dictionary list SNAIL SALAD?

Should it really be a lexical entry in any reference work except MAYBE
something so specialized as an ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FOOD? Or a cookbook? If one
thinks of all the things that one could make a salad out of, it would take a
book as big as a volume of DARE just to list them all.

We could call it "Barry's Dictionary of Salad," and each of the zillion
entries could list the earliest date that Barry could find for each one after
traveling the world and reading salad menus and old newspapers.

In 1973&1974 we used the following sentence as a repetition test for North
Carolina informants: "We both like to eat snail salad often." I thought we
were making up "snail salad" -- at any rate no one in North Carolina had ever
eaten such a thing. We thought that the absurdity (to our North Carolina
informants) of eating snails would distract our subjects from focussing any
attention on the pronunciation of the final fricative in "both."