SAT prep books

Patty Davies patty at CRUZIO.COM
Wed Jul 2 16:41:27 UTC 2003

Hey - I live in Santa Cruz!  And Sunday was my wedding anniversary and went
to the Afghan restaurant for lunch!  I took a class from Prof. Pullum
too.  If I had gone out to dinner on Sat. night we may have been able to
meet.  Well, I can verify that there is a bookstore next to the restaurant
& what part of town, etc.

Patty

At 05:11 PM 7/1/03 -0700, you wrote:
>[this first bit, in square brackets, is personal background to the
>discussion that follows.  if you just want to hear about two
>preparation books for the SAT, skip this first bit.
>
>i spent the weekend on a mini-vacation in santa cruz, courtesy of
>barbara scholz and geoff pullum.  we ate, read, slept, and took long
>walks, in alternation.  wonderful.  saturday night we ate out, at an
>afghan restaurant.  which happened to be next to a used book store, so
>of course we all had to go in and root around.  the Reference section
>had two different preparation manuals for the writing section of the
>PSAT II, one copy of each.  after a bit of tussling, geoff and i each
>bought one, and then we spent some time searching through the grammar
>pronouncements and the sample exams, occasionally emitting cries of
>horrified exultation and quoting stuff at one another.  barbara (who's
>a philosopher) enjoyed the scene enormously - linguists entertaining
>themselves on vacation!
>
>anyway, i took one of the manuals (ehrenhaft) home to palo alto with
>me, and left the other (conner & hixon) with geoff, so i have more to
>say right now about the former than the latter.]
<stuff snipped>