Buckeye Candy (1967, 1968)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 3 02:53:10 UTC 2003

   DARE and John Mariani have 1970 for "Buckeye Candy."  I thought an
antedate would be somewhere in these Ohio newspapers and, of course, it's there.

   13 December 1967, CHRONICLE-TELEGRAM (Elyria, Ohio), pg. 10, col. 3:
   Does anyone have a recipe for...
   "I am trying to locate a recipe for BUCKEYE CANDY.  Do you think any of
The Chronicle-Telegram readers would have such a recipe?" asks Mrs. T. L. of
Wellington.

   16 January 1968, CHRONICLE-TELEGRAM (Elyria, Ohio), pg. 10, col. 1:
   To Mrs. T. L. of Wellington, who requested a recipe for Buckeye Candy:
   "Dear Jean, I noticed a request for a Buckeye candy recipe in The
Chronicle-Telegram just before the holidays and did not see any reply so I'm sending
my recipe to you."  Mrs. R. L.
      _BUCKEYE CANDY_
1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
1 pound confectioner's sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
   After softening the butter, mix all the ingredients with the electric
mixer or with your hands if you prefer.  Form into small balls.  Dip into
chocolate coating.  Place on wax paper until dry.
      _CHOCOLATE COATING_
1/2 bar paraffin
1-12 ounce package of chocolate bits
   Melt the paraffin and the package of chocolate bits in the top of the
double boiler, over hot water.  Do not heat the chocolate to too high a
temperature.  Take a little of the chocolate out of the double boiler and put it into a
small bowl and gently beat until almost cool to the touch, then dip the candy
balls into the chocolate.  (A real candy maker uses her hand to beat the
cooling chocolate and to dip the candy).  Our thanks to Mrs. R. Lee of Columbus.