Linebacker (1938)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 6 18:22:45 UTC 2003

   LINEBACKER--an emergency replacement for Kitty Carlisle Hart on WHAT'S MY
LINE?

   5 October 1938, HELENA INDEPENDENT (Helena, Montana), pg. 6, col. 7:
   The linebacker roves along the line of scrimmage...diagnosing and meeting
plays.

   11 October 1939, ZANESVILLE SIGNAL (Zanesville, Ohioh), pg. 8, col. 7:
_"Problem of Linebacker Most Important_
_In Defensive Football"--Lynn Waldorf_
By Jerry Brondfield
NEA Service Sports Editor
   EVANSTON, ILL.--Scholarly-looking Lynn Waldorf, proppped up behind his
favorite pipe, always reminds us of a literary critic, but the illusion is broken
as soon as he takes off on affaires d'football.
   "Linebackers,eh?" mused Northwestern's gridiron chieftain.  "Y'know
there's something a lot of you writing giants ought to devote more time to.  As far
as I'm concerned the problem of the linebacker is the most important defensive
problem in modern football."

   29 September 1940, MARION STAR (Marion, Ohio), pg. 8, col. 6:
   Early in the second period Kelly, St. Mary linebacker, intercepted a pass.

   4 December 1941, HELENA INDEPENDENT (Helena, Montana), pg. 7, col. 8:
   We'd have had a real team this season if two boys I'd counted on--a big
blocking back and a linebacker--had come back.

   19 September 1944, MARION STAR (Marion, Ohio), pg. 10, col. 5:
   Coach Petrich said yesterday he was going to make a change this week by
putting Nystrom in the line on defense and pull Colegrove the lightest lineman
out of the line to be a linebacker.