"Milk Shake" in Atlanta Constitution (1886)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 6 19:38:21 UTC 2003

    I couldn't find the original "milk shake" article that I'd posted here
twice, most recently from the WASHINGTON POST.  Who knows why.

   26 May 1886, ATLANTA CONSTITUTION, pg. 7, col. 2:
   Ice cream soda and milk shakes at Beermann's Palace Soda Stand, corner
Peachtree and Decatur streets.

   19 June 1886, MITCHELL DAILY REPUBLICAN (Mitchell, South Dakota), pg. 4?,
col. 4:
      _A New Drink in Atlanta._
   The newest Atlanta drink is "milk shake."  You get it at the soda
fountains.  The mixer of cooling beverages pours out a glass of sweet milk, puts in a
spoonful of crushed ice, puts in a mixture of unknown ingredients, draws a bit
of any desired syrup, shakes the milk in a tin can like a bartender mixes
lemonade, sprinkles a little nutmeg on the foaming milk, sets it out for you, and
you pay 4 cents.--Atlanta Constitution.

   5 July 1886, ATLANTA CONSTITUTION, pg.8, col. 3:
   Milk shake is the drink the old beer drinkers call for.

   6 July 1886, ATLANTA CONSTITUTION, pg. 8, col. 3:
   One of Beermann's milk shakes before breakfast will give you an appetite.

   28 July 1886, ATLANTA CONSTITUTION, pg. 8, col. 3:
   Beerman's milk shake takes the cake.

   29 August 1886, ATLANTA CONSTITUTION, pg. 9, col. 3 (Also pg. 13, col. 1):
   Beermann never advances in price.  He sells a milk shake for five cents
yet.  The best in the city.