L. Sprague de Camp (was: publisher's typos]

Dan Goodman dsgood at VISI.COM
Wed Jul 9 05:07:59 UTC 2003

Date:    Tue, 8 Jul 2003 15:39:44 -0400
From:    "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at UNAGI.CIS.UPENN.EDU>
Subject: publisher's typos

"Lee Gold <lee.gold at comcast.net> then wrote from her own experience as a
game author:

  [many snips]
"My favorite typo was in an edition of HIGHWAYS IN HIDING by George O.
Smith, which had a villain named Dr. Leon Sprague (yes, a reference; at
one point, he decamped) who in at least one edition of the book poisoned
a hypodermic needle and... "came into the room holding a typo", "typo"
being a typo for "hypo."

         <<< (end of quote from Lee Gold>

"Dr. Leon Sprague" is a reference to the well-known sf author L. Sprague
De Camp.

Author  of  the article "Language for Time Travelers" -- published in
Astounding Science Fiction 1938, reprinted in _The Best of  L. Sprague
de Camp_.   Also  responsible for what I suspect is the first systematic
attempt at an alternate-history version of English, in "The Wheels of If".

Dan Goodman dsgood at visi.com
journal http://dsgood.blogspot.com
Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.