L. Sprague de Camp (was: publisher's typos]

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Jul 9 05:27:52 UTC 2003

L. [=Lyon] Sprague de Camp, "Time and Chance" [autobiography] (1996), p. 141:

<<I had sent Campbell an article, "Language for Time Travelers," ....
     In this piece, I had taken what I had learned from phonetic studies
and such books as the classic _Words and Their Ways in English Speech_, by
Greenough and Kittredge. On this basis I built some towers of speculation
about how English might evolve during the coming centuries. Most writers of
future time-travel stories had either ignored linguistic change or had
furnished their time travelers with such improbabilities as telepathy or
translating machines, ....>>

-- Doug Wilson