Great White Way (1902)

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Thu Jul 17 23:15:51 UTC 2003

It would appear that, with the exception of Mr. Safire, you bring bad luck
to people, Barry.  Most of the people to whom you sent info either are dead
or out of work.  Maybe I shouldn't ask you to search for any more cites for
me:)

But seriously, congratulations.  Good job.

Sam
----- Original Message -----
From: <Bapopik at AOL.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 11:46 PM
Subject: Great White Way (1902)

>    The "Great White Way" was the first thing that I did for New York.
I'll put it online now for the benefit of people at several New York City
newspapers (Times, Post, Sun).
>    It started with the Shep Friedman story in the NEW YORK MORNING
TELEGRAPH of 28 November 1926.  A few days later, John J. Fitz Gerald
explained the origin of "the Big Apple."
>    I sent my information to William Safire (an American Dialect Society
member), who has not responded to me in twelve years.
>    I gave it to then-Mayor David Dinkins, who wasn't interested in the Big
Apple or the Great White Way, either.
>    I gave it to the Manhattan Borough Historian, who was ill at the time.
(She died several years ago.)  She gave my information to Manhattan Borough
President Ruth Messinger, who never responded.
>    I wrote to Broadway actress Helen Hayes (a great Broadway historian
herself), care of her autobiography's hardcover publisher.  There was no
response.  I wrote to Helen Hayes care of her paperback publisher.  There
was no response.  I wrote to Helen Hayes care of the Actors Guild.  There
was no response.  In 1993, she died.
>    It is with great reluctance that I tell New York City its own history.
New York and the American Dialect Society haven't been kind to me, but here
goes.