City nicknames lists (1881, 1883, 1884, 1889, 1894)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 18 18:05:06 UTC 2003

>As a San Franciscan, I missed the old post-earthquake description of
>this city as "The City That Waits To Die" (which among other things
>was the title of a 1971 documentary about the earthquake). That name
>led some to refer to the neighboring town of Colma, which is largely
>covered by cemeteries, as "The City That Waits For The City That
>Waits To Die To Die," a phrase that comes in handy when you're
>teaching students about center-embedding.
>
>Geoff Nunberg

And where, o where, are all those Colma undertakers buried?  Wherever
it is, as "The City That Waits For The City That Waits for The City
That Waits To Die To Die To Die," it's probably as a hard a place to
get to as it is to leave.

larry