City nicknames lists (1881, 1883, 1884, 1889, 1894)

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri Jul 18 18:40:11 UTC 2003

Do you have "Stumptown" for Portland, OR?  I haven't seen documentation for
its origin, but it apparently arose in the early days when the city was
rising where forest had been only a short time before.  Most Portlanders
are familiar with it today (it's still used without elaboration or
explanation), and clearly it isn't your chamber-of-commerce-style moniker.

The c-of-c nickname is The Rose City or The City of Roses, FWIW.

More recently there's Rip City, which was apparently a spontaneous coinage
of the commentator at a particularly exciting moment in a Portland
Trailblazers game.  During the last period when the Blazers were
championship contenders and "Blazermania" ran high, Rose City Furniture
hung a temporary sign over the "Rose" in its sign facing I-84, making it
read "Rip City Furniture."  The Blazers' lawyers, getting right into the
spirit of the thing, filed suit for copyright infringement!  (They soon
dropped it when, to their astonishment, it began to shape up as a PR
disaster.)

With the Blazers getting more publicity these days for the repeated arrests
of their players than for their playing, I haven't heard "Rip City" in
quite a while.

Peter Mc.

--On Friday, July 18, 2003 1:32 PM -0400 Frank Abate