Mulatto, Maguey (1591)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 21 01:50:48 UTC 2003

   OED doesn't list this EEBO citation for either word.  OED has "mullato" from 1595.  Merriam-Webster has 1593 (Is that right?) for "mulatto."
   I was looking for "vanilla."  This is from reading the actual book, not the EEBO full text.

   Title:  The trauailes of an English man Containing his sundrie calalmities indured by the space of twentie and odd yeres in his absence from his natiue countrie; wherein is truly decyphered the sundrie shapes of wilde beasts, birds, fishes, foules, rootes, plants, &c. With the description of a man that appeared in the sea: and also of a huge giant brought from China to the King of Spaine. No lesse pleasant than approued. By I.H. Published with authoritie.
Additional Titles: Rare travailes of Job Hortop

Author: Hortop, Job.
Imprint: Imprinted at London : [By T. Scarlet] for William Wright, and are to be solde at his shop neere vnto Pauls Schoole,
Date: 1591

Pg. 21:  There also groweth a strange thing which they call Magei, it serueth them to many uses, below by the roote they make a hole, whereat they do take out of it twice euery day, a certaine kind of licour, which they seeth in a great kettell, till the third part be consumed, and that it waxe thicke, it is as sweet as anie honie, they doe eate it.

Pg. 26:  When we came in the height of the Barmotha, we discouered a monster in the sea, who shewed himselfe, three times unto us from the middle upwards, in which parts he was proportioned like a man, of the complection of a Mulliato, or tawny Indian.