Vanilla (1648)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 21 03:28:22 UTC 2003

   I was asked if I could beat 1662 for vanilla.  I already had:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0203C&L=ads-l&P=R8006&m=20991

   I checked EEBO full text (vanilla, vaynilla, vinella), and couldn't find it.  I'm reading the actual book (EEBO page copies), and it's "Bainilla."

   Title:  The English-American, his travail by sea and land, or, A new survey of the West-India's containing a journall of three thousand and three hundred miles within the main land of America ... : also, a new and exact discovery of the Spanish navigation to those parts ... : with a grammar, or some few rediments of the Indian tongue called Poconchi, or Pocoman / by the true and painfull endeavours of Thomas Gage ... 1648.
Author: Gage, Thomas, 1603?-1656.
Imprint: London : Printed by R. Cotes and are to be sold by Humphrey Blanden ... and Thomas Williams ...,
Date: 1648

Pg. 108:  ...long red Pepper, called Chile, which though it be hot in the mouth, yet it cool and moist in operation.  It is further compounded with white Sugar, Cinnamon, Clove, Anniseed, Almonds, Hasellnuts, Orejuela, Bainilla, Sapiyoll, Orenge flower water, some Muske, and as much of Achiotte, as will make it looke of the colour of a red bricke.
   (This is a classic chapter on chocolate.  "Bainilla" is cited three times--ed.)

Pg. 140:  ...frixoles, or _French_ beanes,...

Pg. 142:  ...a dish of Frixoles, or Turkey beanes, either black or white (which are there in very great abundance, and are kept dry for all the year)...

Pg. 142:  But if their means will not reach to frixoles, their ordinary fare and diet is, their Tortilla's (so they call thin round cakes made of the dow and masse of Maiz) which they eat hot from an earthen pan, whereon they are soon baked with one turning over the fire; and these they eat alone either with Chile and salt, and dipping them in water and salt with a little bruised Chile.