Joe Schmo (1947)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 27 09:14:23 UTC 2003

      The HDAS has 1950
      For those interested in American slang regionalisms, I didn't find "Joe
Schmo from Idaho" or "Joe Schmo from Kokomo" or "Joe Schmo from Buffalo" or
"Joe Schmo from Chicago."

   23 May 1947, TRAVERSE CITY RECORD EAGLE (Traverse, Michigan), pg. 1, col.
3:
   Joe Schmo, who shaes an office with six other guys in a Broadway loft, is
in the business of publicizing such pillars of the American scene as
second-rate movie, radio and flea circus stars and unpopular potmaine parlors.

   31 March 1948, CHRONICLE-TELEGRAM (Elyria, Ohio), pg.24?, col. 2:
   Now we know what that last salesman meant when he said:  "You're a good
Schmoe, Joe."...so, THAT'S a Schmoe!

   18 August 1948, POTTSTOWN MERCURY (Pottstown, Pennsylvania), pg.7, col. 1:
   Time was running short for Joe Schmoe.