"rush the growler"--(reply to questions)

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Jul 27 19:03:53 UTC 2003

   Once again, we deal with the imagery of a hunter going after a
downed duck, presumably by sending his dog after it. We know this
because of the attested expression "chase the duck" (drink beer;
fetch/send for beer) and the attested form "duck" (can of beer).

    This "chase the duck" clarifies "rush the growler"; the hunter is
here causing his dog (the growler, even if this is not a standard
term for "dog") to rush. Where to? Why, presumably to the downed duck.

    Now, once the expression spread beyond hunters, "growler" (in its
reference to the dog) would no longer make sense to the speakers
using the term. What these non-hunting speakers saw before them was a
child and a pail, and the child was supposed to rush to the local bar
and come back with a pail full of beer. So the thirsty adult was now
causing the pail to be rushed to the bar. The child was carrying it,
of course, but the speaker was focusing his attention on the pail.

     Hence: "growler" in "rush the growler" means "a pail in which
beer is to be brought back" (not just any pail). "Rush the can" has
the exact same meaning, and here "can" says directly what is meant.

    So, "growler" (pail for getting beer) arose in the context of
"rush the growler" rather than arising independently of this context
and then being inserted into it.  There's no need to look for an
underlying meaning "holy grail" or a possible Scots dialectal form
meaning "gruel."

     As for "roll the rock," this is a new one on me, and I have no
immediate comment about it.

Gerald Cohen