Trudgill in Vocabula

Mon Jun 16 11:23:14 UTC 2003

Then one ought to reexamine the basis for prescriptivism; it is, as
several of us have pointed out in print over the years (me most
recently in the Watts and Trudgill Alternative Histories of English
volume; arnold most recently in his commentary and research on the
flap over reference to possessives), cut from exactly the same cloth.

dInIs

The thought of my being (or TVR being) somehow "compared to" Rush Limbaugh
stirs me unspeakably. Let me make it plain that though The Vocabula Review is a
largely prescriptivist journal (one that welcomes essays by descriptivists),
its editor and publish is, sociopolitically, a flaming liberal.

Robert Hartwell Fiske
Editor and Publisher
The Vocabula Review
www.vocabula.com