Copyright & Vocabula

Tue Jun 17 15:00:15 UTC 2003

Mr. Fishe's use of the verb "flout" is more than a little misleading here--in
a way that goes beyond the issue of fair use that Fred Shapiro raised: Dr.
Flanigan, had she done what Mr. Fishe suggests, would have incurred no criminal
liability. All that the "copyright laws" say is that he has the right to sue
her if he feels that he has proof that she has violated his property rights
under the law with respect to Dr. Trudgill's article. I'm not a lawyer, but I can
give an educated guess that, since Dr. Trudgill has offered to distribute the
article free of charge, it is hard to imagine that a court would find that
Vocabula's financial loss would be more than the traditional $1. Some "flout"!

As for the intellectual worth of a journal that publishes both Halpern's
rants and Trudgill's patient and temperate, response (an issue related to Dennis
Preston's call for limiting ADS-L to ADS members), Vocabula seems to be
precisely analogous to a zoological publication run by liberal creationists that
occasionally publishes an article advocating evolution. Sociolinguists should be
interested in Vocabula to the extent that it is in itself data testifying to
the strength (and direction) of naive folk beliefs about language.